Saturday, February 28, 2009

I fell again

After I returned home from hearing that we won, I went home to chill a little before the celebration that I knew would be happening. I was excited though and almost flew to the quadra. I saw Vania, with whom I confirmed plans regarding my private samba dance lesson, which I was very excited about...she was the director of passistas for Mocidade, and an excellent choreographer as well. I turned away from her and entered the quadra from a different door than I usually take. Just inside the quadra, I saw a kid who held his arms out for a congratulatory hug, I liked this kid's sweet energy and went to happily hug him, and, next thing I knew, my hands were in front of me and I was trying to break a very clumsy fall over some big metal frame of the door that I'd never noticed before. No time to even think about the rolling technique! I was on the ground and he was helping me up and asking me if I was ok. Of course I said I was ok. I think I will always say I'm ok unless my leg somehow fell off from the fall. I went into the quadra, washed my legs off and noticed that I had a huge bump forming on my knee. I also started noticing that my foot felt funny. I didn't want anything to be wrong, so I tried to ignore it. I tried to talk myself into feeling so positive that nothing would really be wrong. After about half an hour, I saw that the bateria was going to play. I then realized that I didn't bring earplugs. Don't listen to anyone that says earplugs are for sissies and non-brazilians. True, the little kids would giggle and point at mine sometimes, but guys from the favela wear them as well. They say the same thing I do....'I don't want to become deaf'. There are plenty of ritmistas who are youngish and are already hard of hearing....could be their jobs as well, but I'm not going to sacrifice my hearing. Since I also left the house without my emergency toilet paper...why is it that quadras never have any? I couldn't rely on that either. I was seriously considering tearing a R$5 bill in half and using that when I realized that people were eating burgers from somewhere, and they had to have napkins....yes! they did. All set now, I went back into the quadra kind of limping. There was no way I was missing playing for the celebration, so I played for about 2 hours. What an exuberant crowd. I wanted to play all night! After a while I finally just couldn't deny anymore that my foot hurt when I put any pressure on it, so when we took a long break, I snuck out (uma saída à francesa hehe...to leave without saying goodbye to people)...I didn't feel like explaining. Brazilians either want you to tough things out, OR they want to make a huge deal and rush you to the hospital, I've noticed. I wish now that I'd said something because I went to walk home to put ice on my foot, but couldn't because it hurt so much so I took a taxi. I ended up staying on my bed for two days...I couldn't walk on my foot. It's better today; I'm hoping hoping hoping for a miracle so I can take that private class with Vania. I needed to get a lot done these last few days before I leave, but couldn't....I also needed to slow down some I guess.
Unidos played in Padre Miguel for the community and I missed it. I really wanted to connect with the gang before I go. I was so frustrated yesterday that I shed a few angry tears. I didn't want my trip to be cut short, but as Brenda put it, 'at least it was at the end!' and as Bruno's mom put it, after they returned from their beach house (oh yeah, I was alone and unable to walk for those two days)...'well at least it was after the parade!' .....how true!

No comments: